Since 2014, Wyomissing Area Education Foundation (WAEF) has recognized an alumnus or alumnae of the Wyomissing Area School District who has made great achievements and has loyally served the community.
The district includes West Reading High School and Wyomissing High School, currently named Wyomissing Area High School.
Distinguished Alumni Award Recipients
- 2017-2018 – Barbara Homsher
- 2016-2017 – John Rothenberger
- 2015-2016 – Carolyn Holleran
- 2014-2015 – Edward Kuhn
2018 Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient
After graduating from the Wyomissing Area School District in 1956, Barbara Homsher went on to receive her undergraduate degree from Goucher College and a Masters degree in Counseling from Kutztown University.
Barbara has been involved in education most of her life; both as a volunteer and a professional. An active community member, Barbara served as President of the Junior League of Reading from 1975-1976, volunteered weekly at the Reading Hospital, as a Girl Scout leader, and in local schools as part of the “Drugs are Like That” program and as a career education volunteer.
Barbara oversaw career education at BCIU, working directly with guidance counselors to implement many important intiatives, such as a summer Educators Internship Program, a teen parenting program that allowed pregnant teens to remain in school, and was instrumental in starting Berks Talkline.
In 1994, she chaired a committee to explore the beginning of a school foundation and became a founding member of Wyomissing Area Education Foundation, where today she still serves as a Emertius Board Member.
Barbara was the wife of her high school sweetheart, Fred Homsher, who passed away in 2017. She is the proud mother of three children, all Wyomissing graduates, the grandmother of seven and the great grandmother of two.
Please join us at the Scholarship and Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony on May 21, at 6:30 in the new gym at the JSHS to honor Barbara Homsher.
Qualified award candidates will meet the following criteria:
- A graduate of the Wyomissing Area School District (or West Reading High School, prior to the merger of the West Reading and Wyomissing school systems)
- A person generally recognized as someone with strong moral and ethical character.
- Someone who has demonstrated one or more of the following:
- Outstanding professional success
- A record of involvement and support of activities within the WASD schools
- A commitment to education, students and/or youth
- A history of generously donating his/her time, talents or treasures to social programs, not-for-profit organizations and/or community activities.
- A history of involvement with not-for-profit organizations.
If you require additional information.
Phone: 610-374-0739 ext. 1171